Monday, June 26, 2006

baby got back?

Earlier last week my morning commute allowed me enough time to stop and get a Starbucks treat to start my day. I was happy and excited to finally try the raspberry-mocha combo that I missed out on a couple of weeks ago. My boss, knowing some of the dating drama that has been a part of my world recently, had suggested that I hang out at Starbucks more since she told me of another person she knew who found his girlfriend at the famous coffee hang out. As I was waiting for my wonderful brew, I have to admit to venturing a look around at several men who caught my eye. One in particular held my attention for a few moments longer than the rest, but he was still ordering when my cup came calling, so I grabbed my joe and headed on my way.

The joy of my you-got-to-work-early-so-you-deserve-a-treat reward only lasted for a few moments as I surveyed my car situation. There was a large Infiniti sedan that was parked so close to my Mini that I would have to be at least half my size in all directions in order to comfortably enter my car. After my initial frustration I took on the challenge to make a way into my vehicle, and gave quite a show with my shimmy-shake coffee-balancing dance while utilizing the whole five inches my door was allowed to open without bumping the Infiniti. I had just settled into the driver’s seat and found the home for my coffee when the handsome holder-of-my-attention from the counter knocked on my window. “I’m so sorry,” he managed once my window was down, “I saw you getting into your car, and I didn’t realize I had parked so close, I’m really sorry.”

Now I’m not claiming to have the most stellar repartee, but I do have moments of witty cleverness, so let’s review some of the things I could have said in response to his apology: “I guess the next coffee is on you” in a teasing tone with a twinkle in my eye, or “your smile is thanks enough” with a warm sincere smile, or “well this will cost you!” with mock demand as I hand him my number. Again, nothing outstanding, but answers I would be proud to claim. What I said instead, to the cute man standing at my window who had just witnessed my slap-stick comedy kind of struggle into my car, and who was awaiting my reply to his apology, to this man I said, “I didn’t think my a** was that big!” That’s really what I said, “I didn’t think my a** was that big!” WHO SAYS THAT!!! I am certain those words have never crossed my lips before in my life! Yet in the rare opportunity to show this handsome man my cute ways, smart wit, and fun confident personality, I instead choke and default to self-deprecation! He smiled and walked away unaware of my stealth flirtation attempt, while I grimaced and drove off marveling at my social ineptness.

8 comments:

Y. said...

Cute post! There's no way I would have been able to come up with something cute and clever on the fly that quickly either. I think your response was actually kind of cute, said in the right way. =) Maybe you'll catch him at that Starbuck's again some other time!

HB said...

Thanks Y! Maybe we should have practice sessions of wit-on-demand-without-self-deprecation. I'm sure you can fit it in with all the motion filings and trial preparations.

ka said...

i always think of the clever thing to say after the fact. HB, this story totally made me laugh out loud!....i could just picture you all day long shaking you head thinking "WHO SAYS THAT?!"

HB said...

You totally called it KA!

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha...this story made my day! Totally cute!!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL! NC told me I had to read this. I would've said the same thing!

HB said...

glad I could make you guys laugh! and its nice to have a new reader mal!

Follow the Frog said...

SO funny!