Thursday, May 25, 2006

a definite LA moment

I’m not one who is easily star-struck by actors*, but every once in awhile LA does lend itself to some cool moments involving actors. My mom recently visited from Idaho, and I wanted her stay to be memorable. One of the activities I found was an evening at the Getty of Food Fiction excerpts read by four different actors. So I packed us a fun picnic dinner and we headed off to enjoy the museum before the show. (As a side note, I have to say the picnic was a hit; mom liked everything despite her less than enthusiastic response to the idea of my pasta salad made with these new soy noodles† TJ sells.)

While we were eating and drinking our wine, a familiar face walked by. I find with actors, I often have a moment where I am annoyed that they don’t recognize me until I realize the reason I recognize them is because they are on TV or the movies; its at this point that the actor sees that I recognize him and acknowledges my recognition, which is around the same time that I’m beating myself up with the realization, once again, that the television isn’t a two-way communication device, while simultaneously searching the recesses of my brain to figure out from where I know him, and then the nano-second interchange finally ends with him smiling, and me forgiving myself for my stupidity and appreciating his acknowledgement of my recognition. (Need to take a breath) If you are still with me then you deserve an award.

So this older gentleman breezes by our table, and the previous ill-explored interchange occurred, and the name Odo popped in my head. Odo was the Changeling on Deep Space Nine. I’m sure Mr. René Auberjonois would prefer me to recognize him from his current work on Boston Legal, but alas I cannot shake my Star Trek roots. It was then that I made the connection that he would be one of the readers at the evening event. The evening of readings was great!¥ Mr. Auberjonois did a great job, but John Lithgow stole the show. Afterwards there was a champagne reception and my mom enjoyed meeting and receiving all of the actor’s autographs on her program.

(So after reading this through I realize that this has a very anticlimactic ending; to help it along I am tagging on a lame moral of the story.) The moral of the story is you can’t always orchestrate star sightings for visitors, unless of coarse, you pay for them.


* Now put me in front of my favorite chefs, and it’s a much different story, but we’ll save that revelation for another post.

† Have to say I love them, the noodles that is; no need to cook, can serve cold or hot, and very healthy; refrigerator section near the cheese.

¥ This is a yearly event that is held at the Getty. I would highly recommend it. Each year is a different theme, and if your dad is into baseball and literature, I think this would be a great Father’s Day gift
.

No comments: