Monday, May 08, 2006

inaugural post – part-time perfectionist

For the longest time I have had a serious bout of blog-envy. I love to write and reflect, and so blogging is a natural fit for me. In addition to my strong Carrie-esque desire I have a number of close friends who have taken up the pastime, which has further reminded me, on almost a daily basis, of my blogless state. So what, you might ask, has kept me from fulfilling my deep-seated desire? I attribute it to my part-time perfectionism (PTP*). (Sounds kind of like a bad 80’s song doesn’t it?) Anyway, my special brand of perfectionism has kept me from fulfilling the blog thing until now because I didn’t have the perfect title and a whole list of witty ideas from which I could draw. Mind you, this has been mulling around in my head for well over a year now, so obviously there has been a huge rush to bring it to reality.

For those of you who are not quite bored to tears yet, here’s how my special brand of PTP works:
1. get very excited about a project
2. obsess about it in my head for a long, long time, (a year is not too long!)
3. begin project, and become very anal about every detail for approximately two-weeks (which is just long enough to produce something, but rarely enough time to finish anything)
4. become bored or unsatisfied with the outcome
5. decide to put project on the backburner and take on at least three new projects to fill the void left by the boredom of the one

They always say the first step to changing a problem is recognizing there is one. Here goes: I’m not perfect! (even on a part-time basis) You’re shocked I’m sure. Translation in relation to this blog: I don’t have the perfect title, my wit and charm hover around a two right now, and my list of ideas ebb and flow from between one and three, but here I am making a move to live in the land of the bloggers. Given my track record and PTP you can count on having stellar posts (or somewhat mediocre ones if this post is included) from now until the end of May. Or it just might end after today. Enjoy!

(*this is for you ML, a.k.a. AG**)
(**Acronym Girl!)

4 comments:

Follow the Frog said...

good to have you posting. If you keep it up, I'll link you up on the frog! ;)

HB said...

I figured I would need to prove myself before I would be included in the elite!

Y. said...

I went ahead and linked. You'd better keep posting. =) I'm encouraged by the fact that I see another entry up already! I took a month break between my first and second posts. =)

HB said...

Y, I was so excited today to see you had included me on your links list! Yay!