Wednesday, May 17, 2006

the word of the day

The word of the day is turgid. Isn’t that a lovely word?! Doesn’t it just roll off your tongue? For those of you, like me, who need the definition: swollen, bloated, puffed up; as, “a turgid limb.” (I know, lovely, huh?) What I really like though is its use when it comes to language: swelling in style; bombastic, pompous; as, “a turgid style of speaking.” It’s so ugly; I may have to use it. Why use such prosaic words like “pompous”, when you could use “turgid”?!

*Forgot to credit Dictionary.com for their definitions and word usage.

4 comments:

Follow the Frog said...

in physiology, we call this edema. ; )

HB said...

Thanks for the medical viewpoint ML, but I still like turgid better! Besides, can you interchange "edema" with "pompous"?! I don't think so... ;-)

Y. said...

As an avid romance reader, you can imagine where I see this word come up a lot. No pun intended. =)

HB said...

LOL! Wow, do you have special Harvard romance novels? The vocab has certainly advanced since I was reading them. However, that is a very creative use of the word; I'm sure Faulkner would be jealous.